Tuesday, February 27, 2024

He Rebuked Peter, a sermon based on Genesis 17: 1-7, 15-16, and Mark 8: 31-38, preached on February 25, 2024

A legendary preacher named William Sloane Coffin once said: While Abraham lived through “summer’s parching heat,” Jesus died young; but didn’t both show us that it is by its content rather than by its duration that a lifetime is measured? Deserted by his disciples, in agony on the cross, barely thirty years old, Christ said, “It is finished.” And thus ended the most complete life ever lived. I love that quote. That word “complete” used to describe the life that Jesus lived is different from the word ideal. Saying that He lived a complete life is different from saying that He lived a superlative or sensational life. Living a complete life is different from living an efficient life, yet sometimes I want to live efficiently. I think about how to spend the limited amount of time that I have, and so when I go into Kroger, I’m thinking about how to get in and out as quickly as possible. However, living an efficient life and living a complete life are not the same thing. I was at Kroger years ago when those self-check-out lines were first being introduced. I had some place to be, but I wasn’t in too much of a hurry. I only thought about the self-checkout line because it was empty, but it wasn’t necessary, so I went to the line with an actual cashier, even though in that line there were a couple customers there in front of me. I remember that the man right in front of me bought cigarettes, cat food, and a newspaper. I remember that because I’m nosy. I was surprised that he started talking to the woman at the register about a book he’s reading. “It’s a work of science fiction,” he said. “It will probably take me six weeks to read it. You must have a physics background to understand it. I sit and think awhile after I’ve only read five pages. And could you also give me change for a ten? Two fives, please,” the man said. She handed him the two fives, and he explained: “I’m taking my mother to get her hair done, and if I only have a $10 bill, she’ll want to tip the stylist the whole $10.” “It looks like you got a haircut, too,” the woman at the register said to the man. “You look nice,” she added. “Not too nice, though,” he replied. “I lost another tooth, so I’m scared to smile because when I do, I look like I’m from Appalachia.” That was a mean thing to say about people from Appalachia, I thought, but I didn’t say anything. I just kept eavesdropping. “I’m getting a new tooth though,” he said. The woman at the register looked pleased. “Come in here smiling once you do,” the woman said. He covered his mouth, “I’m smiling now, but don’t look. If there are any banjos around, this smile might inspire them to stary playing the theme song for the movie Deliverance.” Then he left. The cashier looked to me and said, “I love seeing that man. He makes me smile every time I see him.” I wasn’t sure what to say in response, but I knew to be thankful for having witnessed the whole interchange, which never would have happened in a self-checkout line. The self-checkout line would have been faster, but there are things more important than efficiency. Self-checkout lines don’t get jokes. They can’t smile. You can’t touch them. They can’t hold your hand. People can do those things. Jesus did these things. God incarnate came down to make covenant with us, to have a relationship with us, so today as we consider our second Scripture lesson from the Gospel of Mark, where Jesus rebuked Peter for setting his mind, “not on divine things but on human things,” I ask you: How should we be living? How should we be spending our time? A few summers ago, I was checking out at the Kroger on a Friday. It was a hot day, so when I was at the Kroger at about 5:00 PM, the woman in front of me had taken off her wig while shopping and put it with the produce in her basket. The reason I know that she took her wig off in the produce section is because the cashier bagged all this woman’s produce, and nearly bagged the wig along with them. “Ma’am, you forget your hair,” the cashier said, handing the woman back her wig. Today, as I remember the cashier handing this woman back her wig, once again, I think about the difference between divine things and human things. When I think about Kroger, I think about getting in and out as efficiently as possible, and yet there are divine things happening all around us. God is at work all around us. There are great acts of compassion for us to witness; however, our focus is so often on the human, on the temporal, on the business, or on the hardship, all of which is temporary. There’s a C.S. Lewis quote that I love: “The devil’s greatest trick is making us believe that our temporary pain is not in fact temporary, but permanent.” We get wrapped up in worries that come and go. I have no idea what I was on my way to either of those times I was tempted to go through the self-checkout line, yet the first story I told happened 15 years ago and the second back in 2019. I don’t know what I was rushing to get to, yet when I slowed down, I saw a glimpse of the divine. Jesus rebuked Peter saying, “Get behind me, Satan! For you are setting your mind not on divine things but on human things.” Last Tuesday morning, I witnessed the divine. Last Tuesday morning, I walked into the church to find that the power was out. Our Director of Administration, Melissa Ricketts, had already talked with the crew working out on the corner replacing the power line. They didn’t know how long the power would be out, so she was on the phone, cancelling the Tuesday morning Bible studies and meetings. The rest of us waited there with her, not wanting to go to dark offices. We just stood by the glass doors waiting and hoping the lights would come on so that we could get on with our day and do something productive. There are so many things that must happen on a Tuesday. I was thinking about emails I needed to respond to. I was thinking about the bulletin that needed to be prepared. I had a sermon to write and phone calls to make. Would I be able to get anything done in the dark? Should I just go work from home? And what about all the food in the refrigerators? Or all the clocks we’d need to reset? Those were the kinds of things I was worrying about while waiting for the lights to come back on. Maybe everyone else was thinking about the same kinds of things. I don’t know for sure what anyone else was thinking because I was looking down at my phone, trying to make efficient use of my time. Then, our Tuesday front desk volunteer, Amy Sherwood, walked in. With her, we had a big enough crowd standing there in the gathering area for Melissa to suggest that I lead a morning devotion while we wait. I knew already that Fran Sommerville had written one for me. Having begun my day with the Lenten Devotional our Stephen Ministers prepared for us all, I grabbed a copy and read what she had prepared. This is what she wrote for last Tuesday: Anxiety and worry. Who among us has experienced these? Probably most of us at one time or another. In Matthew, Jesus teaches us that worry is unproductive. He implores us not to worry about tomorrow but to live in the present moment. Attend to his words: “Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing?” Remember that God is in complete control of everything. As I read those last words, the lights came back on. I’m not kidding. Ask Melissa or Amy. They were there when it happened, and I tell you this true story now to say that God is in control, but sometimes I think I have more important things to do than to sit and wait. Christ goes to the Cross to ensure our salvation, but some days, I’m still working so hard to make something of myself that I forget I don’t need to do anything to earn His love. My friends, Peter took Jesus aside and began to rebuke Him, but Jesus rebuked Peter, saying, “You are setting your mind not on divine things but on human things.” Let us focus on divine things, for we read in our Call to Worship, which used the 22nd Psalm: Future generations will be told about the Lord, Saying that he has done it. In his death on the Cross, he has giving us everything, so stop acting like everything depends on how you use your next five minutes. It will be OK if you’re late. Next week, will you even remember what you were rushing to get to? It will even be OK if you leave your wig in with your produce. If you do that, you might help some preacher write his sermon. Let us focus on divine things. Like the people around us. I was struck by a podcast my wife, Sara, encouraged me to listen to. In it, a man was interviewed who said that for his 50th birthday, he invited his 11 closest friends to dinner, and over dinner he told them each how much they mattered to him. One by one he did it. Can you imagine such a dinner? This man enjoyed doing this so much, telling his friends how much he appreciated them, that when he turned 70, he traveled to them, and thanked them all for making a difference in his life. As he described the experience, I could hear it in his voice, how it brought tears to his eyes. And I get it, for what matters most in the end is not how efficiently we’ve lived, but how completely. How complete are your relationships? How completely have you enjoyed your time? How completely aware have you been that God is alive in our world, working His purpose out? My friends, we will overcome the hardship that we face. Future generations will be told about the Lord. All the nations shall worship before Him. Not because we have done it, but because He has. The God of our salvation will come in glory to set all things right, and when He does, let us not be so rushed that we fail to see Him. Amen.

No comments: